The Five B’s of Purposeful Leadership
What separates successful leaders from mediocre leaders?
Great leaders are purposeful. They understand the purpose of their people and know what drives them. Instead of chasing money or power, purposeful leaders look beyond themselves to serve others.
When I interviewed Hubert Joly, the former CEO of Best Buy, on my podcast, he shared his 5 B’s of purposeful leadership:
- Be clear about your purpose as a human. What are your goals? What do you stand for? Define your purpose and talk about it with other people. Sharing your goals and values builds connections and trust.
- Be clear about who you serve. Purposeful leaders don’t act out of self interest. Instead, they serve other people. They know their job is to make other people more successful than them.
- Be clear about your role. As a leader, your job isn’t to be the smartest or most capable person in the room. Your ultimate role is to create an environment where people can thrive and succeed.
- Be a value-driven leader. Purposeful leaders do the right thing and act with integrity. Their values guide their actions and build trust.
- Be an authentic leader. The best leaders are authentic and genuine. They don’t act one way at home and another way at work but bring their whole self to work. Being authentic requires vulnerability and humility and showcasing your real, human self.
Hubert used these 5 B’s to guide his incredible leadership career. As you develop your sense of purpose and improve in these five critical areas, you can establish purposeful leadership and become a successful, future-ready leader.
I put together a video which talks about this in more detail. Please check it out below and if you want more content like this you can subscribe to my Youtube channel.
Companies with better employee experiences have more engaged and productive workers, higher profits, and the ability to attract and retain talent. In today’s competitive talent landscape, companies can’t afford not to invest in employee experience. Download your copy and start creating better experiences for your employees and customers today!