Gary Hamel On Zombie Buildings, The End Of The Great Resignation, Elon Musk, & Productivity
My guest today is the brilliant, sharp-witted, and funny Gary Hamel! He’s a professor at the London School of Business, best-selling author, and one of the world’s top business thinkers. Gary is a repeat guest on the show and today we’re doing something that I’ve never done before, and that is focus on current leadership and business news, something that many listeners have asked me to do.
The format is that I pulled together a few trending leadership and business stories and Gary and I talk about them and share our opinions. Gary had no advance notice of the stories I was going to ask him which made it even more fun!
Some of the topics include:
- Digital overload where a recent WSJ highlights that we spend 2 days a week on email and meetings.
- Why the great resignation is over and is now being replaced by something called “The Great Stay.” This was a Business Inside Story.
- The truth behind “Zombie Buildings” and if in-person work is ever going to make a comeback and why we still need in-person work. This was a recent report by the Boston Consulting Group.
- ChatGpt and AI and the impact it’s going to have on the workforce. We specifically look at a story which states that white-collar workers are going to get decimated with the rise of AI, is that really true?
- Elon Musk’s recent leaked memo where he told his executives that he has to personally approve any new hires.
The conversation is faced-pace and filled with insights, stories, and practical applications. I’d love to hear what you think of this format and if you want me to do more of these in the future. Leave me a comment and let me know!
Subscribe on Substack where you can get access to the full transcript as well as organized and archived access to all of my best leadership content and latest thinking.