No matter if you’re an entrepreneur or an employee in an organization, chances are you’ve experienced burnout.
It happens to everyone, especially when we pour so much of our time and energy into working our jobs.
But instead of pushing through burnout and letting it grow and snowball, it’s important to combat it and allow yourself to refresh and rejuvenate.
Here are six tips for when you experience burnout. These are things I’ve done throughout my career — some even as recently as today — to fight the inevitable feeling of burnout.
- Pay attention to the signs. Take time to evaluate what’s causing your burnout and how it makes you feel. When you’re self-aware enough to know the signs, you can prevent burnout before it grows.
- Rest. Just like you would rest a physical injury instead of pushing through the pain, you need to rest your mind and body to overcome burnout. Take a break. Trying to power through the burnout will only make it worse.
- Do the easy work. When you start to experience burnout, put your detailed and involved tasks on the backburner and instead focus on tasks that don’t require as much creativity or brainpower. That way, you’re still getting things done, but it isn’t adding to your mental load.
- Find an outlet. Take up a hobby or activity you genuinely enjoy doing, like drawing, meditating, or playing chess. It doesn’t matter what the activity is as long as it excites you and gives you a chance to recharge and focus on something other than work.
- Delegate. Determine the tasks that are causing your burnout and delegate them to other people. When you offload things that cause burnout, you have more time to focus on the tasks you enjoy doing.
- Get support. Turn to your network of friends, family, and other entrepreneurs to talk through your burnout. Work can be isolating, so reach out to people for human interaction and support when you start feeling overwhelmed.
I made a video about this which you can see below. If you want more content like this then make sure to subscribe to the Be Your Own Boss Podcast Youtube Channel where Blake and I teach you how you can be your own boss.
These six tips can help you turn around when you experience burnout. You owe it to yourself to address burnout instead of letting it run its course. Be proactive when you start feeling burned out and stop to take care of yourself. When you address burnout and follow these tips, you will feel more energized and better prepared to do great work.
No matter where you are in your career, you’ll inevitably face burnout. Knowing what to do when that happens with these six tips can make all the difference and turn that burnout into a well-deserved break that helps you come back better than ever.
Now more than ever, people are moving from full-time employment to entrepreneurship. We are collectively realizing that the only job security that exists is the one that you create for yourself, but how? My wife Blake and I are successful entrepreneurs who both made the transition while we had full-time jobs. You can learn how here.
Download our new guide on 5 Tips For How To Become An Entrepreneurs While You Have A Full Time Job.
If you enjoyed the article and want more content like this here’s what you can do:
- Subscribe to The BYOB Podcast Newsletter to get notified when a new episode comes out (once a week).
- Subscribe to our Youtube channel where we talk about these things in much more detail including sharing our personal stories.
- You can also connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Linkedin.
- If you’re interested in sponsoring or have suggestions for the show, you can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.